Friday 20 September 2013


EVER FEEL LIKE YOU’RE TAKING ON MORE THAN YOU CAN HANDLE AND YOUR BRAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE?

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!

So, as you may or may not know, I created this blog to represent the Reflective Design Journal I have to produce as part of my foundation degree in Interior Design. I enrolled onto the course on 12.08.13 through the National Design Academy; a decision that took me a while to make! It’s completed via distance learning – I’ve been to Uni twice and dropped out twice previously, and after completing a Diploma in Interior Design via distance learning I found that this is an option which suits me; I still have time to work hard and play hard as there is full flexibility in terms of what time I set aside to concentrate on my studies.

However, alongside this I am also working as a Trainee Architectural Technician, on an apprenticeship basis. This means I learn via work-based activities, but have to attend college one day per week. Up until now, I’ve only been twice.Last week, my first day involved myself and six spotty teenage boys sitting in a room; none of whom spoke a word to me, and all the tutors kept asking me to confirm that I was there to study Construction and the Built Environment as I’m female! I feel so butch!!! I attended again yesterday and after sitting in a room for half an hour with 17 boys for company, I was over the moon when another female joined me! Hoooray!
I’m doing all this studying as my father has his own architectural and interior design business, which he has built up over the past 20+ years. But hey, he’s getting old now, and one day it’ll all be mine right? ;)

Jokes aside, I’m really loving the fact that I’m finally doing something useful with my life. I’ve worked in so many dead-end jobs such as supermarkets, shops and call centres… no offence to anybody whom works within those industries, I’m just so glad to be embarking upon a career, rather than scanning tins of beans through a checkout knowing that there is no progression available within the role. For the first time ever, I’m feeling quite ambitious.
However, at the same time, I’m feeling so damn confused and clueless! Sometimes I feel as if I have no idea whatsoever about the two subjects I’m supposed to be studying – Sure, I get passionate about the odd piece of furniture and enjoy looking around showhomes to pass my time, but what do I really know about interior design and architecture? Bot all it feels like!

It’s quite hard at times studying via distance learning; it’s easy to get confused and lose direction as you’re not in a classroom setting with constant help available. Don’t get me wrong; support is available from the tutors at NDA, but it’s definately not the same as being in a classroom setting where help is at hand at any point throughout the course of the day, and students can bounce ideas off one another. I do like studying via distance learning as I can pick and choose when I study, but I feel I would be more motivated and inspired if I was able to physically attend University.

I’m hoping to be able to meet my target deadline with this first module; all I have left to do is produce a couple of presentation boards to show primary and secondary research regarding each element of interior design; shape, form, light, colour, texture, furniture and objects. I’m struggling a little with where to start on some of them, and need to venture out to a local lighting store to get some more photographs taken to include within my research. It’s proving to be way more difficult than I initially thought! I completed the diploma via distance learning whilst I was unemployed and managed to get through it at quite a speedy pace – Now, I’m having to juggle college, work and the foundation degree alongside various personal circumstances and it’s not quite as easy! Maybe this is why I’m feeling so deflated…

If anyone is thinking about studying an Interior Design course via distance learning and would like some advice on what it entails, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I’ll try my best to be of some use!

0 comments:

Post a Comment